Brinn Labs, located in the Bay View neighborhood of Milwaukee, is home to the Betty Brinn Museum’s expanding Maker Initiatives.
Established in 2013, the Maker Initiatives have helped the Museum become a national leader in the Maker Movement, and Brinn Labs will be home to these and other programs, projects and events:
- The Google Making Spaces Hub Program – as one of fifteen Google Making Spaces Hub institutions nationwide, Brinn Labs maker-educators will work directly with a number of area schools to help them develop makerspaces, including staff training, space design and development, crowdfunding and ongoing programming support.
- Maker-Educator Training – with funding from the federal Department of Education and the Institute for Museum and Library Services, we have collaborated with the New York Hall of Science and other institutions to develop national training models for K-12 teachers and after-school program staff. Training sessions can be customized to meet specific needs locally, and is Title funding eligible.
- The Be A Maker Teacher Studio – this partnership with the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Education’s Departments of Educational Psychology and Curriculum and Instruction is dedicated to sharing best practices in maker education in FREE, year-round professional development workshops. This program is generously supported by Rockwell Automation.
- Makerspace workshops and classes for everyone – introductory programs in include Arduino Basics, Raspberry Pi, Cyanotype Printing, Sewn Circuits, Wood Working, Printmaking, and more!
- MakeShift – our adults-only maker nights, premiering at Brinn Labs on Wednesday, February 28th.
- Maker Faire Milwaukee – celebrating our fifth annual Faire September 28-30, 2018. Maker Faire Milwaukee is the largest FREE admission Faire in the United States and one of the largest of the more than 200 Maker Faires happening around the world.
Need more info? Please download our 2018-2019 Education Guide. It covers programs at Brinn Labs and the Betty Brinn Museum.