Brinn Labs, located in the Bay View neighborhood of Milwaukee, is home to the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum’s expanding Maker Initiatives.
Established in 2013, the Maker Initiatives have helped the Museum become a national leader in the Maker Movement. These projects, programs, collaborations and events are part of the Maker Initiatives:
- Maker Education Partnerships – Based on our Google Making Spaces Hub work, we offer faculty and staff training, space design and development services and program support to schools and other educational organizations that want to develop makerspaces and maker education resources.
- Maker-Educator Training – As collaborators with the New York Hall of Science and other institutions, our maker-educators have developed national training models for K-12 teachers and after-school program staff. Training sessions can be customized to meet specific needs, and may be Title funding eligible.
- The Be A Maker Teacher Studio – this partnership with the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Education is dedicated to sharing best practices in maker education in FREE, year-round professional development workshops. This program is generously supported by Rockwell Automation.
- Community Makerspace Development – We welcome partnerships with neighborhood development organizations and businesses that can improve access to maker tools and technology to help more students, young adults, families and others in high-needs neighborhoods develop skills and entrepreneurial projects.
- Maker Skills – With support from GE Healthcare, Brinn Labs offers hands-on workshops of all kinds, including Arduino Basics, Introduction to Raspberry Pi, Cyanotype Printing, Sewn Circuits, Wood Working, Printmaking, Robotics, Hand-Built Pottery and more! Field trips, summer camps, teen workshops, Scout programs, programs for homeschool co-ops – and adults, too. If you have an idea for a workshop or want to bring your group, contact us!
- Maker Faire Milwaukee – Last, but not least, Maker Faire Milwaukee is celebrating its sixth annual Faire in September! Maker Faire Milwaukee has been one of the largest of the more than 350 Maker Faires happening around the world and we welcome you to join in the planning for this unique, locally-sponsored event. Our 2018 video can give you a taste of what to expect!